badge_mjs_purple  Milton Junior School

Bulawayo, Zimbabwe

Milton High School 1910  1911_mj  Milton High School 1910

The school 1910 - 2017

The combined Junior and Senior school was opened on 25th July, 1910 by Sir William and Lady Eveline Milton. The headmaster was Mr. de Beer, and he remained there until 1927 when the senior part of the school was moved to its present premises. The Borrow Street building became a paying junior primary school for boys aged 6 to 11 yrs old under Mr. Mac-Donald from 1927 - 1932.

In December 1955 a fire broke out in the east wing of the school starting in what was then the office. All records were destroyed, the library was completely gutted and the ceilings through the whole wing destroyed. School opened in January 1956 using the hostel prep room, the Greek church hall, and the scout hall in 9th avenue as classrooms.

There are two rooms in the school which are unusual in Junior Schools. One is the Library which is mainly used by the Standards 4 and 5, the lower classes having their own class libraries. The other is the Craftroom designed by Mr. A M Brown. Here every cupboard, every drawer is designed to hold exactly some book-binding or craft equipment such as sheets of manila and rolls of linen.

When the school was built there was only one playing field; the one between the school and hostel. Now the ground adjoining 9th avenue between the school and the river was been leveled, a pavilion built and was one of the most attractive junior school cricket grounds in the country. This was the first school to use a composition wicket and later go on to turf wickets. Many students have gone on later to play for their country and Mr. P.N.F. Mansell for South Africa. Soccer has also produced its great players, notably Bobby Chalmers. The field next to 12th Avenue became a fine rugby ground. Rugby was represented at the highest level by Des van Jaarsveldt and Ronnie Hill as Springboks.

Another addition to the grounds was the swimming bath shared with Coghlan School and opened by the Mayor, Clr. A. Menashe in 1966.

school_NR   school_NR1   schoolhostel_NR